Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The 'Gruellers'

With my current phase on this programme I think there is one exercise every night which is without a doubt more gruelling than the rest. Typically at the moment it is sets of 10 rep back squats or sets of 10 rep deadlifts. The deadline for the grant I have to help review has been moved to this Friday for the initial meeting so there is a snowballs chance in hell of me completing my usual programme for the next few nights so it will be pretty much completing the 'gruellers' and leaving.

Back Squat:
Warm ups with 60, 100, 134 and then 1 set of 10 with 154kg (340lb) and then two drop down sets of 10 reps with 145kg (320lb). I dont think I completed the drop down sets last time so slight improvement.

I am glad tonight was just back squats as the third set left me wiped. My legs felt really funny after the third set and got extremely stiff which was weird, never experienced that before.

I asked Billy Caball what the heaviest official clean was from an Irish lifter. Although not strictly the heaviest clean since they are clean and jerk records I would love to get 172kg in the future.

Hello Peter,
AS well as Don Coates, Paul Friel did 171 at Beechmount on 10 March 1984. Frank Rothwell did 170 in 1970. (Of course these were official clean and jerks).
Kind regards,
Billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment